x

Get Breaking News

Receive special offers from ashemountaintimes.com.

First day of fishing season, youth-only wild turkey season opens

Originally published: Mar. 7, 2013
Last modified: Apr. 6, 2013

Heather Samudio

Saturday was a big day for fishermen and young hunters in the area.

The opening day of fishing season and the Spring Youth-Only Wild Turkey Season kicked off on the same day.

The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission closed approximately 1,000 miles of hatchery-supported trout waters to fishing to allow personnel to stock the waters for opening day.

According to the Commission’s Jodie B. Owen, the HSTW, designated by green and white signs, are stocked at frequent intervals in the spring and early summer every year.

This year, approximately 900,000 trout, 96 percent of which average 10 inches long, were going to be poured into the rivers. The remaining 4 percent exceed 14 inches in length.

While fishing on HSTW, anglers can catch and keep a maximum of seven trout per day with no minimum size limit or bait restriction. The HSTW are open until one-half hour after sunset on the last day of February the following year.

The spring turkey season for 2013 has changed to allow for a longer youth turkey season.

According to information from NCWRC, the youth-only season will be open until Friday, April 12. During this time, an adult can accompany one or more youth, but must remain near the youth during the hunt. The bag limit for the entire week is one bird.

“With hunter recruitment as a major goal of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, we are continuously looking for ways to bring more youth into the woods,” David Cobb, chief of wildlife management for the Commission, said. “Adding these extra days to the youth season will give our newest hunters a better chance of bagging a bird and get more youths and adults in to the field.”

In previous seasons, youth-only season was one-day only and adults weren’t allowed to accompany more than one child.

The adult turkey season will follow the youth-only season, running from April 13 until May 11.

For more information on fishing in North Carolina, visit http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing.aspx or call the Division of Inland Fisheries at (919) 707-0220. For more information on hunting, visit http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting.aspx.

 
For more information and stories, see Ashe Mountain Times.