x

Get Breaking News

Receive special offers from ashemountaintimes.com.

Fire Marshal: Jefferson home likely totaled in Wednesday blaze

Adam Orr/AMT




Originally published: Jan. 30
Last modified: Jan. 30

Adam Orr

A Jefferson home is likely a total loss, according to Ashe County Fire Marshal Bob Davis, following an attic fire early Wednesday afternoon.

"The culprit that started it all was likely an electric heater that was mounted in the wall in the bathroom," Davis said in a Jan. 30 interview. "It probably started there, moved up through the wall and into the attic."

The home, located at 5229 U.S. 221 N, is owned by Jeff and Linda Badger, Davis said.

Neither was inside the home when the blaze began, he said, sometime around 12:17 p.m. on Jan. 29.

"No one was living in the home at the time," Davis said. "Jeff had been in the house that morning to stoke the wood stove - the renters who'd been in it had moved back in December."

Firefighters from the West Jefferson, New River and Jefferson Volunteer Fire Departments rushed to the scene and had the blaze mostly extinguished by 1:45 p.m., but Davis said extensive damage had been dealt to the home.

"It's likely a total loss," Davis said. 

Additional Images

 
For more information and stories, see Ashe Mountain Times.